Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Someone Else's Deja Vu




A friend mentioned the other day that she was experiencing something that I also often experience. For lack of a better term I refer to it as "having someone else's deja vu".
It's like this: I'll be awake, doing whatever, and have what seems to be a vivid and complete memory flashback. However, the memory is absolutely not a "real" memory from my own life. 

I've been attempting to research this but it doesn't seem to correspond directly with anything currently being studied. It more closely resembles "false memory syndrome" perhaps , without the associated trauma or regression therapy. I don't  believe I have any of the history that would associate with that. 
It is exactly like flashbacks I have of true events from my past, often traumatic, such as injury or loss. The same intensity and vivid detail, although the false flashback is often of some really prosaic memory: say, coming home by taxi to my flat in London and bringing in the mail. (Never been there.)

A mystical explanation may be that everyone's memories and thoughts are "out there" somewhere in the cosmic stream and we sometimes "tap in to it" in a dream or daydream state. Another explanation could be an unconsciously remembered scene from page or screen that resurfaces at an odd moment.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment